- 6oz cod loin
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup cold beer (pale ale or lager works well)
- 1 large potato
- Salt for seasoning
1. Preheat your oven to 200°C (400°F). Place a baking sheet inside for later use.
2. Start by preparing the fish. Pat the cod loin dry with paper towels to remove any excess moisture. Cut it into smaller pieces if desired.
3. In a large pot or deep fryer, heat enough vegetable oil to fully submerge the fish. Aim for a temperature of around 180°C (350°F).
4. While the oil is heating, prepare the beer batter. In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and black pepper. Gradually pour in the cold beer, whisking until you have a smooth, thick batter. Adjust the consistency by adding more beer or flour as needed.
5. Peel the potato and cut it into thick chips. Rinse them in cold water to remove any starch, then pat them dry with a kitchen towel.
6. Once the oil has reached the desired temperature, carefully place the potato chips into the pot. Fry them for about 5-7 minutes until they are golden and crispy. Remove the chips from the oil and drain them on kitchen paper to remove any excess oil.
7. Dip each piece of cod loin into the beer batter, ensuring it is fully coated. Gently place the fish into the hot oil, being careful not to overcrowd the pot. Fry the fish for 4-5 minutes until it turns golden brown and crispy. Remove the fish from the oil and drain it on kitchen paper.
8. Place the cooked fish and chips on the preheated baking sheet in the oven to keep them warm while you finish frying the rest.
9. Season the fish and chips with salt to taste. Serve them with lemon wedges and your favorite accompaniments, such as tartar sauce or mushy peas.
Enjoy your delicious homemade beer batter fish and chips!